Friday, August 14, 2009

My Back Yard and Flowers

I thought I would share with you some pictures of my backyard before summer ends. On Saturday mornings, I take my coffee and go on my patio and I just sit there and listen to the birds and just enjoy the peacefulness of it all. My bench is one my dad made many years ago. It has a slight tilt to it but it makes it more rustic. I call this my Saturday morning sit-a-spell spot. I love ferns and have lots of them. I trying to think of a way to protect them over the winter so I can have them next year.

Our deck is where my husband does all of the outdoor cooking. He has his grill and his smoker and also a turkey fryer. He fixes all kinds of goodies out here.





I have begonias planted in my planter boxes on the deck. They don't require dead heading and are so easy to grow.



We have a small fountain in our backyard and I planted zinnias around it. I like zinnias because they do not take a lot of care and they can handle our hot and dry summers we have.

The elephant ears come back every year. I am really surprised they came back this year because we had a real bad ice storm in January and lost several trees in our backyard. I like them because they offer a lot of greenery and look good with other flowers in a setting. We like to feed the birds so we have several hummingbird feeds and other feeders for woodpeckers and various other birds.


I like little flags in my flower gardens because they offer some color. These are 2 of them that I have.



This one is for fall, which I am so ready for.

I hope you enjoyed the short tour of my back yard and flower garden.

3 comments:

Kindra-At Home With K said...

That big prim star sure caught my eye! What a wonderful spot to relax with a friend. :)

•♦•©The Olde Weeping Cedar •♦• said...

Oh I enjoyed this peek into your backyard, Maxine! I like the star too! :)
Love your fountain..it looks so pretty & peaceful there :)

Thanks for sharing.

Have a wonderful Sunday!

hugs-Kath

Birgit said...

Your backyard looks so peaceful and cool in the shade of those trees. I can see why you spend each morning out there. I just lovee to sit and listen to the birds too!
Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful yard. I'll be over for some iced tea. :)
Blessings~ Birgit